So...I'm all about exfoliation, so I made an appointment for the Coffee Scrub-Mini Moisturizing Massage here at the hotel Spa. (They also offer scrubs made from lavender buds or sea salt, but I went with coffee because I've heard the caffeine can have "stimulative and firming" properties for the skin - yeah, not gonna turn THAT down!) Anyway...they massage you all over with this coffee ground/massage oil blend - when that's done, you hop into a shower to de-scrub, and then they work this amazing lemon balm-scented mosturizer into your freshly de-scaled Bod. I was in heaven!
Now, my skin is almost as soft as Avery's, and if I close one eye, I swear my Bee-hind looks firmer! ;)
So, while I'm musing on the corporeal benefits of the coffee bean, I must tell you about this...
I recently began reading a "healthy lifestyle" (aka diet) book. As a trained Dietitian, I don't particularly think I need a book to enlighten me on this topic, but, what can I say? Sometimes curiosity over the latest diet craze gets the best of me...
Now, I won't go namin' names, I'll just say the book suggested, no demanded a tad too much elimination of foods for me to believe it's a realistic approach for most people, myself included. Coffee was one of the items on the authors' Hit List. Now, I understand there may be any number of reasons a person doesn't drink coffee, but to lambast something into seclusion without providing even a modicum of balanced information is just completely irresponsible!
In case you haven't heard - Coffee's benefits have been linked (by reputable, medical research) to:
- Reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes (the type most often associated with obesity and genetics)
- Reduced chance of developing Parkinson's Disease (the one that wrecks your body with tremors)
- Reduced risk of certain Cancers - most probably due to the powerful anti-oxidants known as polyphenols found in coffee.**
- 2 cups ground coffee (hit the Dollar Store or Big Lots for some cheapo stuff!)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar or sea salt (tip: sugar won't burn your little razor knicks)
- 2/3 Tablespoon Almond Oil (Can also use another light oil like Grapeseed or Jojoba)
- Apply scrub to wet or damp skin, working in a circular motion so as to distribute the caffeine to help eliminate cellulite and varicose veins
**Medical stats obtained from here